Monday, March 26, 2007

Valley of Fire 03.25.07

Sunday, March 25th, 2007

My 30th Birthday!

Somehow I wake up relatively early again and am the only one in our party without a hangover – a birthday miracle! We gather for brunch as some check out of their rooms in preparation for their 4 hours drive back to southern California. As others return to their room following food, my wife and I decide to journey 40 minutes north of Las Vegas to enjoy the beautiful weather and gorgeous scenery at the Valley of Fire.

We arrive at the gates around 3:30pm, not noticing our gas tank is lighting up on empty. We decided to attempt to roll back 14 miles of unincorporated road to the nearest gas station to fill up before returning to the park just in time to find other photographers setting up for a model shoot among the colorful, burning rocks. I walk over and introduce myself and am welcomed by the cheerful group which included Jason Groupp, TJ Cameron & Emmy Award Winning, best selling Canadian Authors & photographers Chris + Lynn. I snap a few photos capturing a beautiful brunette model as she sprawls out in a white wedding gown over the jagged rock formations. The shoot lasts a mere 15 minutes before park rangers approach to scold the group for not obtaining permits for their session. Since the shoot wasn’t my original intention, I decide to just drive around the remainder of the park, capturing the sun as it sets over the ancient petroglyphs and colorful desert landscape.

We return to our hotel around 8pm and decide to enjoy a delicious Italian dinner, capped off by more "lucky birthday" casino action.




No comments: